Sunday, October 14, 2012

October 14, 2012 backpacking Mt. St Helens

::::::Guest blogger, Mike Johnson appears again!::::::
While Jill was at a Dr appointment I was watching the kids.  Chloe found the water hose and decided it was a good day to turn our sand box into a beach.  As dad of the year, I didn't stop them.




Last weekend I escaped the into the wild North West wilderness and hiked the entire way around Mt St Helen's.  It was an awesome hike of 30+ miles, that took three day and cost me 6 blisters and two toe nails.  But we had a great time and I regret nothing.  Jesse and James were my cohorts in crime for this endeavor; that's how I like my adventures, surrounded by medical professionals.


As we started walking out the door for our backpacking extravaganza Chloe turns to me and says " Daddy, have fun...but not too much fun."  She must know boys better than I expected.

It amazed me how the mountain changed as we did a 360 around it.  From lush old growth forests to desolate rocky plains.  One of the most interesting things to see was the mile of knocked down pine forest.  Such a destructive power.


Yes, we had to cross this canyon...all the way down and then all the way up.  Jesse and James didn't seem to care, but I huffed and puffed like the big bad wolf up the untire 1,300 ft climb.  PS the whole mountain was made of sand.

Due to the dry weather there was a fire ban, but fortunately we were treated to some spectacular sunsets.

I'll spare you from looking at the picture of my toes.  Overall, it was a great trip.

Link to hiking route:

1 comment:

  1. hooray for Guest bloggers. LOL And thanks for sparing us from you foot photos. hehehehe

    Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

    I'm pretty sure James is already planning your next adventures.

    ReplyDelete